Just had a one-off PT session, which ended up being 30 minutes focussed 100% on squats.
My goal with this was to check form on squats, and get comfortable with the squat rack so I can up the amount I squat. To date, the max I’ve squated has been 25kg as that’s the max I can safely lift over my head onto my shoulders. As someone managing a long term back issue, I am uber sensitive about my back so knew I needed to check in before any further progression.
WELL. WASN’T THAT WORTHWHILE.
1. Not surprisingly, my form was NOT perfect. Quel surprise given I never had it checked! Better late than never at this point.
2. In PT’s words, I have fabulous flexibility – can squat “bum to grass” as he called it without issue. First thing he checks before adding any weight. Apparently most people can’t do this — I know I am flexible, but quite frankly, didn’t realize that most people couldn’t do that correctly or that it had anything to do with flexibility. Who knew?
3. I was squatting with my legs too close together. Wasn’t tucking my elbows in. NOTED.
5. As I increase weight (for me, if I’m lifing > 30Kgs presently), I need to put my legs further apart to prevent the knee going over foot.
6. I have to remember to breathe on every squat! The higher the weights, here and there I didn’t exhale. oops.
7. I was never correctly “finishing”the squat movement correctly — being butt/hips pushing forward and abs being fully engaged in process. WELL HELLO, THIS IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE. Holy Granola — seriously can’t believe the difference in how much I felt it at just 20 Kgs doing it this way (admittedly, did about 60 squats at 20 kg going slow, all form focussed). Can we say burn? LOVE IT.
Super jazzed from it. Now I will focus on a PT checkpoint at least once a month to check form on specific moves, learn, etc. I could go broke for all the PT sessions I’d like to do (I didnt’expect this one to only be squats, but it warranted it and so glad I did it).
Oh, and the plus. The PT that did this just basically has befriend me, REFUSED TO BE PAID FOR THIS SESSION. But I will be back !